Some days start at a gallop and speed up. Some days start with a whimper and speed up without you. How can you maintain optimum emotional energy for the challenges of your daily life? Here's a little exercise I call 'extreme self-care'. And here's what to do:
At a convenient point in your day (before you start, at lunchtime - you remember lunch? - or at the end of the day ask youself:
- How am I feeling, physically and emotionally?
- How am I responding to day-to-day events?
- How clear is my thinking?
- How linked do I feel to my sense of purpose (my spiritual energy)?
Don't aim to change anything, just observe and make a note, perhaps in a journal you keep for this purpose. The aim is to understand what's going on for you.
Now ask yourself:
- What most gives me joy, and how can I bring that into my day?
- What one response can I re-think to a less stressful level?
- What one change can I make right now that will positively improve my energy?
- What will I do to take care of myself today?